IMACS progress report no. 51
B. Bigelow 8 July 2002
I) Project Status
Currently scheduled tasks: Status:
a) DSS drive design (Hare) IP
b) DSS drafting (except drive) (Cleary) Done
c) DSS fabrication (except drive) (Kowal, Castillo) Done
d) DSS assembly/testing (Hare, Kowal, Castillo) IP
e) DSS Grating Tilt Mech testing (Hare) IP
f) Calibration system mech. des. (Hare) on hold
g) Principal Guider Camera testing Done
h) Shack-Hartmann Guider Camera testing Done
i) Science Array controller fab (Burley) Done
j) CCD array assembly (Thompson/Burley) Due
k) Filter procurement (Sutin) IP
l) Grism procurement (Sutin) IP
m) Instrument electronics assembly (Bagish) on sched.
n) Control software design (Birk) on sched.
o) Instrument enclosures design (Gunnels) Done
p) Instrument enclosures fab (Gunnels/Paragon) IP
q) Instrument utility wrap design (Gunnels) IP
Project events in June:
- Enclosure fabrication started
- Flexure in multiplet lens cells identified - fixes IP
- Flexure in grating tilt mechanisms identified - testing IP
- Short camera spheres complete, aspheres due end of July
- First images from science controllers (MIKE) in June, first IMACS images due in July
Latest project images:
Final Assy: http://www.ociw.edu/instrumentation/imacs/devel/final/index.html
Collim. assy: http://www.ociw.edu/instrumentation/imacs/devel/coll/index.html
II) Optics (Sutin)
No report this month.
III) Electronics (Bagish)
- Debugged Altera hard stop logic, sent out new PCB for fab, PCB's came
back and are ready for assembly.
- Physik Instrument encoder signal repeater PCB came in and ready for
- Microphone preamp, line driver and line receiver PCB's sent out for fab.
- Shutter controller complete and working.
- MCS front panels ready for final finish, anodizing and lettering when ready.
- Recommend that remaining MCS cables be made in house because of better
control of final product and change orders.
- Assemble and test new Altera hard stop logic, PI repeater, Microphone
preamp, line driver and line receiver.
IV) Software (Birk/Clardy)
- Structure rotator: I added a TCP/IP interface to the rotator
GUI. It allows other programs (e.g. shell scripts) to initiate
movements of the rotator.
- Long Camera focus: I worked out the mathematical transformations
necessary to convert motions of the lens-motors to x,y [pixels]
and z (focus). I implemented a new home-search procedure that is
intended to avoid problems of the motor getting stuck at its
limits. Nevertheless one of the motors has (again) failed to stop
at the positive limit switch. I will contact PI and ask for advice.
- Shutters: I modified the shutter-controller software to control two
shutters (4 blades) with one micro-processor.
- Instrument setup: I designed an 'Initialization-GUI' to simplify
instrument setup. It allows to change IMACS initialization files
without having to use a text-editor.
- Gratings: The tilt-mechanism works but we need at least 15 times
higher motor resolution. Alan found a high-resolution motor and we
are awaiting delivery. There is some unexplained flexure in the
grating mechanism we continue to investigate.
Clardy: (Bigelow for Clardy)
- Coded obstacle avoidance (for tooling) in mask cutting program.
- Slewing motions coded not to exceed 10mm stroke of laser auto-focus
- G-code previewer found to viewing mask cutting files prior to running
- Will follow up with Mulchaey about LDDS2 mask fab, and with Hull
about LDSS2 mask blank fabrication
V) Detector Systems (Thomson/Burley) (Bigelow for T/B)
- Assembly of MIKE red and blue dewars and detector systems almost
- Plan to have 2-4 CCDs in IMACS dewar by 7/8/02.
- Science array wing chips (for flexure control) to be ball bonded
by D. Bredthauer. 10 chips will be provided, we chose 3 best
and return remainder to Luppino.
VI) Mechanics (Bigelow/Hare)
1) Complete instrument hatch design - no progress
2) Complete 2nd imaging mirror cell - done, drawings to drafting
3) Progress grism cell design - no progress
4) Correct Dewar solid models and re-work dewar parts as necessary - done
5) Release slit mask carrier drawings for fabrication - done
1) Progress grism cells
2) Progress hatch design
3) Select cable wrap w/Gunnels (enclosure interface)
4) Write SPIE papers for Hawaii conference in August
1) Assembled grating tilt mechanism (GTM), started testing, identified flexure
2) Completed modifications to SHGC and PGC drive assemblies - now in shop
1) Resolve flexure issues in GTM, start remedies
2) Progress DSS wheel drive
VII) Fabrication (Kowal)
1) 2nd shutter top and bottom plates completed
2) Guide camera bodies light-weighted
3) L05 lens cell dummy completed
4) Guide camera base plate modification in programming
Expectations for July:
1) Modify bases of filter servers.
2) Remainder of 2nd shutter
3) 2nd imaging mirror cell assembly
4) Mask Carriage parts
5) Pick-up work?
VIII) Other Business
Next meeting: 10:15, Thursday 8/1/02